Over the past four years we have been assisting the authorities at Jilava Penitentiary. Some highlights for the last two years are:
- Easter program for 150 prisoners. We sang songs and read portions from the Activated magazine, which we later distributed to all.
- We started a program called Health for Body and Soul in partnership with the dental faculty at Carol Davila University in Bucharest. They provided dental check-ups to the inmates, and our team offered counseling and prayer. This was a weekly project which lasted over four months.
- Penitentiary Day: Our volunteers performed with well-known Romanian singers for 150 prisoners. The program consisted of meaningful songs, and issues of the Activated magazine were distributed to all attendees.
- We organized the donation and delivery of sanitary accessories, such as showers and sinks, as well as food.
- We presented a Christmas program for 150 prisoners. We sang songs, read portions from the Activated magazine, and later distributed the Activated Christmas issue to all.
- In March we participated in the national anti-violence week by holding a seminar against violence, which was filmed and later shown to the rest of the 2500 inmates over the internal TV network.
- Our children’s singing and dancing group performed at Easter to a select audience. The show was filmed and later aired for the rest of the inmates.
Originally Published in 2008.