We’ve participated in the Karmanos Cancer Institute NAAMA (National Arab American Medical Association) Walk for Women’s Cancer, volunteering our time and musical talent for this yearly event.
Here is a short account of one of our monthly visits to the Karmano’s Cancer Center:
We are able to visit with patients who are undergoing treatment and/or surgery in the wards, offering comfort and hope to some of the many thousands who are afflicted with the debilitating effects of cancer.
It’s heartbreaking to see the dear ones who have to struggle with sickness and the untold pain and loneliness of being stricken in this way. Patients are often moved to tears by the songs we sing, as they so desperately need some hope during this difficult time in their lives. Some have even said that the music helps lessen their pain.
During our most recent visit we sang two songs for an elderly man named Bobby. He’d obviously lived a rough life and his appearance was rather tough. Only moments after we began our first number, he broke down in tears and said, “I’m so overwhelmed. I have trouble expressing my emotions, but I needed to hear this today. Thank you!”
The next day the Karmanos music therapy director called to tell us that our short visit had made a tremendous impact on Bobby. Bobby also called to tell us thank you again, and we were able to send him some encouraging material to read during his stay in the hospital. Our hearts are always touched by the amazing strength and courage we’ve seen manifested by these individuals against all odds. We pray that the words and songs of hope and inspiration we offer can help them to find … “Peace in the midst of storm.”
Our ongoing programs include the following locations:
- Grace Centers of Hope – formerly the Pontiac Rescue Mission
- Detroit Rescue Mission
- Capuchin Soup Kitchen
- Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Center – Music Therapy Program
- Golden Oaks Medical Care Facility – formerly the Oakland County Medical Care Facility
- McLaren Homewood Village - Assisted Living and Alzheimer’s Unit
- McFarlan Home
- Sunrise Assisted Living
- Sorrento Care Nursing Facility
- Hospices of Henry Ford Residence - Bortz Health Care of Warren
- Angela Hospice
- Mary Wood Nursing Center
- Wayne County Juvenile Detention Center
- Macomb County Youth Home
- Elmhurst, Inc. - Naomi’s Nest, Women’s Division
- Various Harbor Light Drug Rehabilitation centers throughout the SE Michigan area
Originally Published in 2008.